American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC) Hampton Roads Scholarship
The American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC) is a non‐profit educational and professional organization for persons, military and civilian, involved in the overall field of military comptrollership. Our mission is to promote education, training, and professional development in all aspects of military comptrollership. Each year, we offer scholarships to recognize outstanding graduating high school seniors for academic achievement and to provide financial assistance to seniors planning to pursue a baccalaureate degree with a major in a financial/resource management‐related field (see attached Scholarship Award Notice). In June of 2020, the ASMC Hampton Roads chapter will award seven scholarships: one $2,000 first place, one $1,500 second-place, one $1,000 third place, and four $500 fourth place. The first-place winner will then have the opportunity to compete in the ASMC National Scholarship Program for one of nine scholarships (one $3,000, four $2,000, and four $1,000), also to be presented in June of this year.
2. We request that you nominate one or two of your most highly qualified students to compete with other high school seniors in the Hampton Roads area. Please disseminate the attached scholarship notice and application form as soon as possible to allow time for students to prepare their application package. The completed application, including transcripts, an essay, and two letters of recommendation, should be mailed to ASMC, Hampton Roads Chapter, P.O. Box 7334, Hampton, VA 23666 or emailed to email@example.com. Applications must be received no later than March 9, 2020, to be considered.
3. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Patsy Hudson, Scholarship Committee Chair, at (757) 764‐2995, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathleen M. Day
Hampton Roads Chapter, ASMC
February 4, 2020
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD NOTICE
The American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC), Hampton Roads Chapter, offers scholarships to students who have shown an interest and potential to succeed in financial management. This year the chapter will award seven scholarships: one for $2,000, one for $1,500, one for $1,000, and four for $500. The first-place winner will then have the opportunity to compete in the ASMC National Scholarship program for one of nine scholarships (one for $3,000, four for $2,000 and four for $1,000). Notification of college enrollment and a completed w-9 will be required before disbursement of the scholarship check to the student. A check will be made payable to the student and the college/university.
TO APPLY, YOU MUST:
1. Be a high school senior ranked in the upper half of the graduating class.
2. Plan to pursue a degree in a financial/resource management‐related field (e.g., business administration, economics, public administration, accounting, finance). Applications that do not fall within these fields will not be considered.
3. Have applied to a college/university, and on acceptance, provide verification to ASMC prior to June 1, 2020.
4. An application must be submitted on the attached form. Incomplete applications or submissions that do not follow the submission criteria will not be processed or considered for evaluation.
5. Provide two letters of recommendation: one from the high school principal, academic dean, or counselor, and one from a current or past high school teacher.
Scholastic achievement, leadership ability, extracurricular activities, career and academic goals, and financial need will be considered and must be documented in the letters of recommendation, on the application, and/or in the required essay.
APPLICANT: Complete and sign Part I of the application form. Attach the following documents
and give the package to your guidance counselor.
1. An essay of 250 words or less addressing career/academic goals and financial need. What do you want to accomplish? What circumstances prompt the need for financial support?
2. Two letters of recommendation: one from the high school principal, academic dean, or guidance counselor, and one from a current or past high school teacher.
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR: Complete Part II of the application form, attach an official transcript of grades and mail to address shown below or e‐mail to email@example.com
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MILITARY COMPTROLLERS HAMPTON ROADS CHAPTER
P. O. BOX 7334
HAMPTON, VA 23666
DEADLINE: Application should be received NO LATER THAN March 9, 2020. If you have any questions or wish to confirm receipt of your application, please contact Mrs. Patsy Hudson at (757) 764‐2995 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASMC Letter & Scholarship Notice & Application:
2019 ASMC HRC Scholarship Winners
We awarded scholarships to SEVEN college-bound seniors in Hampton Roads this year! The competition was fierce, but our award winners set themselves apart by demonstrating solid leadership abilities, volunteering in their communities, and earning academic honors. Congratulations to Monica Kwan, Jakayla Blackshear, Candyce Croom, John Cameron Altizer, Luke Hampton, Seth Albritten, and Darrius Wilson.
In August 2019, 2 of our scholarship students were awarded the National level scholarships: John Altizer ($1,000) and Monica Kwan ($2,000). Congratulations to all of our outstanding students.