The deadline for the Elsie Steffany Memorial Scholarship Award has been extended to February 29, 2020! This scholarship is available for competition among those of you who are DoD and USCG members of ASMC and who do not currently hold the CDFM credential. To memorialize the service of Ms. Elsie Steffany, who passed away as a result of a tragic accident on 1 June 2018 during our National PDI, the award winner will be presented at PDI 2020 in Nashville, Tennessee.
Elsie Steffany was a GS-15 employee of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Financial Management and Comptroller). A member of our ASMC Washington Chapter, she was also a Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM) and participated in activities of our Redstone-Huntsville Chapter in Alabama, while on temporary assignment at Headquarters, Army Materiel Command.
Following are details developed and approved by the committee and the Board regarding the composition of the Elsie Steffany Memorial Scholarship Award, eligibility, nomination process, and timelines
The scholarship award will cover the following costs:
* Enrollment for two years as a candidate in the ASMC Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM) program
* CDFM Textbook
* Participation in one Enhanced Defense Financial Management Training Course (subject to course availability and approval of the awardee’s organization)
* Three exams (one each for CDFM Module 1, Module 2, and Module 3)
* Registration to attend (subject to the approval of the awardee’s organization) the annual ASMC National PDI, in which the scholarship award will be presented
ASMC members, who do not possess the CDFM credential and are assigned to the Department of Defense or the US Coast Guard, may apply for the scholarship award.
Scholarship Award Application Requirements
Applicants for the Elsie Steffany Memorial Scholarship Award must submit not later 29 February 2020 a one-page paper, consisting of two or three paragraphs, limited to a total of no more than 600 words on the page, addressing the two questions below, using single-spaced Times New Roman, 11 size font. The application must also include a cover page including the applicant’s name, organization, work email address, and ASMC chapter.
* Why is public service in defense financial management important to you?
* Why is professional development and the pursuit of the CDFM certificate important to you?
Scholarship Award Nomination Process
Each ASMC chapter president may submit only one nomination to ASMC HQ, among the applications submitted at the chapter level and evaluated by the chapter. ASMC HQ is not prescribing the specific methodology for evaluation of applications submitted at chapter level; however, we recommend that either the Chapter Officers (Board) or a chapter scholarship committee review the applications and determine the individual nomination to be submitted to ASMC HQ as the chapter’s nominee for the scholarship.
The chapter will have one month (1 – 31 March 2020) to review individual nominations and determine the chapter’s nominee for the scholarship award. Once the chapter’s nominee is determined, the chapter president (or their designee) must submit the nominee’s application via the ASMC National Awards System to ASMC HQ NLT 31 March 2020. Chapters may not edit, add to, or otherwise embellish individual applications.
* 1 February – 29 February 2020: Eligible applicants may submit Elsie Steffany Scholarship Award applications to the ASMC chapter POC designated by the chapter president
* 1 – 16 March 2020: ASMC Chapters evaluate applications received
* 16 March 2020: Deadline for submission of chapter nominee to ASMC HQ (chapters may submit their individual nomination application anytime during February, or the period 1-16 March 2020; however, once submitted, it may not be revised.)
* 16 – 31 March 2020: Elsie Steffany Memorial Scholarship Award Committee evaluates applications and selects the award recipient
* 6 April 2020: ASMC HQ notifies chapter presidents of Elsie Steffany Scholarship Award Recipient
* April 2020: ASMC HQ notifies ASMC membership of Elsie Steffany Scholarship Award recipient via ASMC Website and “Engage”
* April 2020: ASMC HQ works with award recipient and their organization to ensure the recipient’s participation in PDI 2020.